Chapter 4 of Ballplayers in the Great War is Soldiers. Here you’ll read how the ballplayers reported to their cantonments, donned new khaki uniforms and made the best of whatever awaited them. Their fates were all different. Here are some of their stories:
- Billy O’Hara of the Giants served in the trenches with the Canadian Army
- Leon Cadore of the Dodgers led African-American troops in France
- Ralph Sharman of the Athletics drowned during training
- Tiny Reds mascot Brownie Burke talked his way into the army
- Benny Kauff of the Giants played ball at a camp in Ohio
- Joe Harris of the Indians saw action, but was hurt in a truck accident
Read more about these and many others in Ballplayers in the Great War.